Raja Shivaji Vidyalaya (formerly known as King George High School), is a high school in the Dadar neighborhood of Mumbai, India. The school was founded in 1912, and named in honor King George V who had visited India in 1911. It was renamed in 1974, at which time it switched from an English language curriculum to a Marathi curriculum. It has since resumed English education, becoming a “semi-English” (mixed English/Marathi) institution.
In 2012, former President of India, Pratibha Patil was the guest of honor at the school’s centenary celebration.
Lt. Shri Akshikar founded Dadar English School before 1911. The teachers working there Lt. Shri Nagesh Mahadev Kale, Lt. Shri Krushnaji Mahadev Barve, Lt. Shri Deshmukh, Lt. Shri Koranne and Lt. Shri Aaras, who were highly motivated, came together and decided to start an Independent School. During the period of 1911 King George V from England, visited India.
He was known for his calm nature and was extremely inclined towards education. During his visit he announced the slogan ‘Educate and Agitate’.
He encouraged people to open schools for spreading awareness on literacy. At times he even extended his help for this noble cause. Inspired by his efforts these five Jewels got encouraged and started a school named ‘King George English School’ on 10th January 1912.
It had started near Portuguese Church in premises of Padwal’s Bunglow and in Kalgutkar’s Chawl. They offered their full co-operation in progress of the school.
In 1924 a plot was purchased by Lt. Shri Kale and Lt. Shri Khopkar in Hindu Colony.On 2nd June 1974 the school was renamed as ‘Raja Shivaji Vidyalaya’.
RAJA SHIVAJI VIDYALAYA
No. 135/145, Hindu Colony,
L.N. Road, Dadar East, Mumbai – 400014
Land Mark: Near Ruia College
Phone: 022 – 24141285/022 – 24142995